How to Unclog a Disposable
Nothing can put a damper on things quite like a clogged disposable vape. Let’s discuss why disposables get clogged so frequently, and how to unclog your vape next time this happens to you.
Why do Vapes Get Clogged?
First, let’s go over why vape carts get clogged so frequently. This is mostly because pure hemp extract is made up of thick oil, making the liquid inside so thick and viscous that it can jam up or crystallize, clogging the vape. Vape oil formulators can try to thin out the oil by mixing in additives such as MCT oil, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, or terpenes.
Typically, thicker oil means that it’s higher in potency. The trade-off with thicker oil is that it can sometimes be more prone to clogging. Adding terpenes can help to thin out the oil and add flavor, but too much will give a harsh vapor that is not pleasant on the throat and lungs. It’s also important to remember that terpenes are part of what generates the ‘entourage effect’, and contribute to the psychoactive feeling (i.e., indica vs sativa). Formulators work to find the right balance of flavor, feeling, smoothness, and viscosity (to reduce clogging) for the best experience possible.
It’s important to make sure that you only buy vape cartridges from high-quality sources. In late 2019 a common ‘thinner’ used in black market vape cartridges known as vitamin E acetate was linked to the vaping lung illness outbreak. Cartridge ‘fillers’ that dilute the cannabinoids and reduce potency are also common on the black market. Always make sure that your cannabis products of choice have certificates of analysis (COAs) showing that your products are what you think they are, and that they are safe to consume.
How to Unclog a Disposable Vape
When you have a clogged disposable vape, the first thing to try is simple, and works surprisingly often. Instead of inhaling using your lungs like you normally would, try using just your mouth to generate increased sucking in pressure on the mouthpiece. If this works, you can continue inhaling as usual. If not, try some of the steps below.
Before you attempt to unclog a disposable vape, make sure to put on gloves and have napkins or paper towels nearby, as vape juice can be very sticky.
- Start by taking the cap off of your disposable vape, and gently inserting a small tool like a paper clip through the mouthpiece’s center hole.
- Cautiously push the tool into the vape until you reach the bottom, about one inch deep.
- Rotate the tool and pull it up to dislodge the oil in the cart post.
- Repeat the last two steps two to three times.
- After you’ve cleaned out your disposable, blow through the charging port until there is adequate airflow through the vape.
If the previous method didn’t work for you, carefully try adding heat. Heating up your vape will heat the liquid inside, helping to break up any crystallization or clogs that may have formed.
Here are a couple of methods to try:
- Place the vape in a warm part of your home, like next to a radiator.
- Hold the cartridge in your hands for about 5 minutes
- Use a blowdryer about a foot away from your disposable for a short period of time to heat the vape. Start off slowly by waving the blow dryer back and forth across the pen, then apply heat more directly as needed. If you really want to speed this method up, place the disposable in a cup, then direct the heat into the cup.
- If you don’t have a blow dryer, try putting your vape in an airtight plastic bag and then submerging the bag in warm water. Be careful to not let water enter the bag and get on your vape pen.
Whichever method you use to heat your vape, it’s best to start low and go slow to avoid damaging it.
Tips For Avoiding a Clogged Disposable
Ultimately, the best way to avoid a clogged disposable is to choose a vape from a retailer that makes high-quality products. A quality disposable will be made of the best materials that will allow for proper airflow and stay at the top of its game until it's time for a new one. High quality formulations, optimized for a balanced experience and just the right viscosity will also help.
In addition to choosing a quality product, here are our best tips for avoiding a clogged disposable:
- Keep the battery charged (if your battery is not disposable).
- Store the disposable upright whenever possible (and never store upside down).
- Avoid keeping your disposable in your pockets.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight (especially for extended periods of time) .
- Avoid keeping your vape in your car to avoid temperature fluctuations.
- Keep your vape in a warm area, cold helps to thicken and crystallize the vape liquid.
- Use your vape often! Cloggs can often come as a result of inactivity, so even just taking a quick hit a few times a week will help keep the good times flowing (literally).
What Sets Our Disposables Apart
At Elyxr, we’ve put the time and work into making our disposable vapes some of the best on the market today. Each of our vapes comes with a one mL tank and a fully charged 280mAh battery built-in. You can choose between delta-8, delta-10, or THC-A to find the perfect cannabinoid and strain to fit your needs. Additionally, we have so many delicious flavors with top-of-the-line terpene profiles, that you’re sure to find one you’ll love.
Trust Elyxr For All Your Cannabis Needs
If you’d like to try the latest trend in hemp from a company you can trust, stick with Elyxr. What sets Elyxr apart from the rest, is that our lab-tested extracts are grown and processed in the United States in an FDA-approved facility, so you don’t have to worry about where your cannabis products come from, or what’s in them. We create high-quality delta-8, delta-10, CBN, and CBD products, so you know you’re getting the good stuff regardless of which cannabinoid you choose. Shop our online store today for moonrocks, carts, edibles, tinctures, flower, and more.